Wednesday, June 22, 2005

John Madden

I've made fun of John Madden several times through the years -- the clip of Madden and Pat Summerall overusing the word "cantilever" during one NFL broadcast towards the end of their run at Fox was the most requested piece of audio on my radio show for months on end.

There was a time when Madden brought genuine insight to NFL broadcasts, but he's been coasting for a long time and is now nothing more than an amalgam of cliches and master of the obvious.

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in my lack of respect for this broadcasting "icon," who just signed a deal to move to NBC in 2006 when that network takes over Sunday Night Football.  John McGrath of the Tacoma News Tribune joins in my disdain and disbelief for the almost-unanimous veneration Madden receives.