Friday, September 23, 2005

"The Producers" trailer

Sony has posted the trailer for the movie version of the musical version of "The Producers," which will hit screens around Christmas.  While trailers can be misleading about the quality of the finished product, I'm a little skeptical that Mel Brooks can pull of this Hollywood-to-Broadway-to-Hollywood trick.

I loved the original movie with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder and was lucky enough to see Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in the hysterical stage version -- but there are certain things that don't translate from stage to screen and "The Producers" seems to have a minefield full of them.  I'm also leery of the stunt casting of Uma Thurman and Will Ferrell in supporting roles.

On top of that, I can see Eric Idle in the wings watching to see if this works, and if it does, he'll take Python back to the big screen with a movie-Broadway-movie version of "Spamalot" (which, by the way, is terrific, like its ancestor, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail").

I hope I'm wrong.  Judge the trailer for yourself.