Upset Pick Update

When I picked the Packers + 7 @ the Cowboys tonight, I didn't know three things: 1) Brett Favre would leave the game injured and not return; 2) Charles Woodson wouldn't be in the Packers secondary; and 3) the officials would make some horrible calls, including that final pass-interference call against Green Bay that was clearly not interference. Final score: Cowboys 37, Packers 27.

This is the first game I've watched at length on NFL Network, and it became quickly apparent that Bryant Gumbel is horrible as a play-by-play man. The man uses the word "appears" about every two minutes ("it appears he has the first down," "it appears we have a flag on the field," "it appears the Packers have scored a touchdown," "it appears I'm still as much of a pompous ass as I always was").

As bad as Gumbel is, that's how good Cris Collinsworth is as an analyst. He makes great points, does a very good job of explaining why things happened, and doesn't hesistate to second-guess coaches, players, and officials. He deserves to be on the #1 team on a real network working with a real broadcaster.

With my prognosticating skills in a miserable slump, let's see if I can make up for it with another Upset Pick for Sunday. The Browns are in the playoff hunt and should beat the Cardinals, so I'll take the spread to win. Make it Cleveland +1 at Arizona.

Season record: 5-7-1