This week on my Final Table poker radio show, Dennis Phillips and I talked with John Racener, the runner-up in this year's World Series Of Poker Main Event.
This was a terrific in-depth discussion, with some serious strategy. John explained how, when it got down to 3-handed play, he was thrilled to see the two big stacks (Jonathan Duhamel and Joseph Cheong) going after each other, a battle that allowed him to sneak into second place and win an extra $1.5 million in prize money. He also analyzed a couple of big hands from that final table, including his ace-king versus Michael Mizrachi's ace-eight, and the hand in which Mizrachi shoved a huge stack with a pair of threes against Duhamel, who called for his tournament life with ace-nine and won the hand.
Among the other topics Dennis and I touched on:
- Peter Eastgate auctioning off his 2008 Main Event bracelet for UNICEF;
- Full Tilt following PokerStars' lead and banning any players in Washington state;
- Whether "Poker After Dark" can help get more players interested in pot limit omaha;
- Why viewership of the November Nine was down 26% this year;
- The Hollywood Fall Classic in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, which both of us will play in later this week.