This week on my Final Table poker radio show, Dennis Phillips and I talked with John Racener, the runner-up in this year's World Series Of Poker Main Event.
This was a terrific in-depth discussion, with some serious strategy. John explained how, when it got down to 3-handed play, he was thrilled to see the two big stacks (Jonathan Duhamel and Joseph Cheong) going after each other, a battle that allowed him to sneak into second place and win an extra $1.5 million in prize money. He also analyzed a couple of big hands from that final table, including his ace-king versus Michael Mizrachi's ace-eight, and the hand in which Mizrachi shoved a huge stack with a pair of threes against Duhamel, who called for his tournament life with ace-nine and won the hand.
Among the other topics Dennis and I touched on:
- Peter Eastgate auctioning off his 2008 Main Event bracelet for UNICEF;
- Full Tilt following PokerStars' lead and banning any players in Washington state;
- Whether "Poker After Dark" can help get more players interested in pot limit omaha;
- Why viewership of the November Nine was down 26% this year;
- The Hollywood Fall Classic in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, which both of us will play in later this week.
We do The Final Table show every Tuesday 3pm to 4pm CT from the poker room of Harrah's St. Louis on 590 KFNS radio. Follow us on Twitter: Dennis is here, Paul is here.