Listen to me on KTRS/St. Louis every Friday, 3-6pm CT

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Driver Error

Remember last year when some Toyota drivers claimed their cars were suddenly accelerating on their own and blaming the electronics when they crashed? The never-skeptical media, always looking to run video of banged-up vehicles, ran with the story so much that Toyota had to recall 8 million cars, pay the government over $48 million, and watch its sales drop dramatically.

As a Toyota owner for more than 25 years, I said at the time that I didn't believe it -- that the anecdotal claims seemed bogus, the result of drivers who had made mistakes and were looking to put the blame elsewhere. I was so sure about it that we even bought my wife a new Camry in the midst of the hubbub. Now, a comprehensive investigation by NASA says there's no evidence at all of electronic flaws in those Toyotas, chalking it all up to, yes, driver error.