Sometimes I love Twitter -- like a few days ago, when notorious anti-vaccine hype artist and "The View" co-host Jenny McCarthy asked her followers, "What is the most important personality trait you look for in a mate?" The Daily Beast took note of some of the responses the Twitterverse posted in response:
- My ideal mate likes the idea of kids not getting polio.
- My mate knows that anti-vax catastrophizing rhetoric and fearmongering hurts autistic people like us IN ADDITION to killing children.
- Somebody who gets that refusing vaccines because of "toxins" and then shilling for e-cigs makes you a pathetic hypocrite.
- My ideal partner understands that "doing my own research" isn't cherry-picking blurbs from blogs.
- ISO tall, dark, handsome man with degree from somewhere other than Google university.
While we're kicking anti-science liars, let's not forget Kevin Trudeau, who conned people out of millions of dollars with infomercials and books like "The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You To Know About." Despite being fined $37 million by the FTC, he has continued to live a lavish lifestyle without paying a penny -- but tomorrow, he's going to be sentenced by a federal judge for criminal contempt, and will likely get 10 years in prison.
Labels: science, skepticism