Listen to me on KTRS/St. Louis every Friday, 3-6pm CT

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Bye Bye Batgirl


Sorry to hear of the death of Yvonne Craig, who was the first actress on television to make my young male body tingle.

I was ten, and she was playing Batgirl on the original "Batman" ABC-TV series. I told her about my youthful affection when she guested on my radio show about 25 years ago, and she replied that I wasn't the first guy to say that. I looked through my archives and couldn't find the audio, but I remember her being cheerful and funny in talking about that role, as well as the time she played a green-skinned alien on "Star Trek," how often Elvis Presley hit on her when she appeared in two movies with him, and her role as a Russian ballet dancer opposite James Coburn in "In Like Flint."

My friend Mark Evanier also had a boyhood crush on Yvonne, which he also got to express to her in person, which led to a great anecdote he just recalled on his site.