I Forgot These Rotten Things


That's Tony-winner Christian Borle as William Shakespeare in "Something Rotten," in a performance at the White House that reminds me of Tim Curry.

I'm returning to "Something Rotten" because in writing about it yesterday, I mentioned how the show pokes fun at other musicals, but I neglected to mention that its creators had never created a Broadway show themselves. However, they have quite a collective resume. According to Playbill:
That's an impressive roster of credits all around.

One more thing about "Something Rotten." The fun it has at the expense of both The Bard and Broadway musicals is very much in the spirit of the shows The Reduced Shakespeare Company performs all over the country. In fact, on his RSC podcast, my friend Austin Tichenor interviewed Brad Oscar, Heidi Blickenstaff, and John Cariani about how they were cast in "Something Rotten," how the show changed during rehearsals, and how difficult it is to make it through a performance without cracking up themselves.

Labels: ,