Random Thoughts

I was downtown last night, drove by The Dome, and noticed that it still has signs outside exhorting people to buy St. Louis Rams tickets. I'm sure someone will get around to taking them down any month now.

I was going to write a post about Larry Wilmore’s performance at the White House Correspondents Dinner, but Ken Levine said everything I would have.

A woman is suing Starbucks for putting too much ice in her iced coffee. This has been a problem with other cold drinks for a long time. As anyone who buys soda knows, you usually end up with a huge scoop of ice first, then the liquid. Which is why I always order mine "light ice" -- which sounds like I'm asking for diet frozen water, but it's simply an attempt to get a fuller serving of the beverage. The problem for Starbucks is that their menu signs say "24 fluid ounces," when there's only 14 or so ounces of coffee in the cup (unless you define ice as a fluid, in which case you might as well count steam the same way). Starbucks is also facing another lawsuit saying its average latte is underfilled -- because the foam takes up so much space. Prediction: the company will change the signs, not the cups or the method it uses to make the beverages.

A couple of days ago, I posted my mini-review of "Miles Ahead," the biopic of jazz legend Miles Davis. Then I tweeted links to it and, as I usually do, included the Twitter handles of both the movie (@MilesAheadFilm) and its director/star Don Cheadle (@DonCheadle). Within an hour, both of those accounts re-tweeted my original message. What's funny about that is that I hated the movie and said so in my mini-review, and yet whoever the "social media manager" is for both the film and the actor didn't bother to click through my tweeted link to see what I had to say about it. Even funnier is that several of Cheadle's followers, who saw his re-tweet, then liked or re-tweeted it again, probably also without bothering to see what I had to say about the movie. Nice to know they're handling their social media strategy the same way they made the biopic -- badly.

"Hamilton" has been nominated for a record 16 Tony Awards. In related news, there's a ticket available a year from tomorrow for a single seat in the middle of the next-to-last row of the balcony between a guy with a bad cough and a woman who's so hard of hearing she will keep asking you what they're singing about. It's only $310, so grab it fast!

Kudos to Jimmy Kimmel for taking on Sarah Palin and the idiotic climate-change-denying movie she's promoting. Unfortunately, refuting those lies with scientific facts will still not change the minds of the uninformed or the politicians paid by big polluters to obfuscate on the issue.

If you want to be one of the most powerful people in the world, but are so unaware of your own feet that you fall off a stage, you should immediately become ineligible for high office.

Labels: , , ,