Listen to me on KTRS/St. Louis every Friday, 3-6pm CT

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Maya and Tina

I was pretty brutal in my review of the "Maya and Marty" debut last week, and I didn't watch all of this week's episode, but I did catch this segment with Maya Rudolph and Tina Fey doing a tribute to 1970s-era variety shows -- the kind that were hosted by Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, and far too many others. I wonder if most of Maya and Tina's fans (like my daughter), who weren't alive when those shows aired, understand what's being parodied here.

Nonetheless, Rudolph and Fey have a natural rapport, and their friendship is apparent whenever they work together. Sometimes, that's in dreck they can't save (like the movie "Sisters"), but when it's in a piece like this, their chemistry elevates the material (as do the stools they perch on). The second half of the bit, where they do a medley of several songs that don't necessarily go together, is reminiscent of the Sweeney Sisters bit that Nora Dunn and Jan Hooks did to perfection in the 1980s (with help from Marc Shaiman), and is just as clever and charming...